When you go to drive your vehicle and you can’t get it to start, it can be more than frustrating. It can leave you wondering what in the world is wrong this time. If you’re dealing with a car that won’t start, there are a couple of different things that are more than likely going on. For many cars, it is a problem with one of two things, the battery or the alternator. Knowing what could be causing the problem can help you greatly with the effort to get back on the road. Highway 30 Garage is here to talk about these two issues and what sets them apart from one another.
Dead Car Battery Symptoms
If you’re dealing with a battery issue, there are going to be some signs that are present. If you have a battery issue, you should have your battery tested to see if it needs to be replaced. Here is what you should be looking for.
– Absolutely no lights or sounds will be present when you’re trying to turn your vehicle on.
– You will hear an audible click when you turn the key to start the car.
– When your engine turns over, but it does so very slowly.
– You may notice that the headlights are weaker than normal.
– Sometimes, there is backfiring that is present.
– If you need to put your foot on the gas while you are trying to start your vehicle, this can be a battery issue.
– You will be able to jumpstart your vehicle if you are dealing with a dead battery.
How Do You Know if its the Car Battery or Alternator?
When you attempt to jumpstart your vehicle and you still can’t get it to start, there is a good chance that you have alternator problem. This happens when the alternator isn’t giving the battery the charge that it needs to start your vehicle. You are going to need to have the alternator looked at by a professional to help you determine whether or not it needs to be replaced. Here are some of the signs you may notice.
– Your car’s electronics aren’t quite right.
– Your car may stall right after it starts.
– There may be some whining noises coming from under the hood.
– It may smell like something is burning.
– The headlights might be flickering.
– Your vehicle may have an alternator warning light that comes on.
Towing, Roadside Assistance & More in Cassia, Gooding, Jerome & Twin Falls Counties in Magic Valley, Idaho & Jackpot, Northern Nevada
Whether you are having problems with your alternator or your battery, you can rely on the pros at Highway 30 Garage to help you get back on the road as soon as possible. We specialize in mobile auto repair, towing and roadside assistance. It is our goal to ensure you have the ability to get where you need to with a car that is reliable. Call us today!